PE & Sport
At Lightmoor Village Primary School we have been developing our sport provision as the school has grown. We currently have football teams entered into the Telford school tournaments, as well tag rugby, cross country and Boccia teams.
We are part of the Telford Schools PE Partnership and have good links with other schools which enables staff to attend regular training and to arrange smaller sporting events with other schools.
At Lightmoor we are always trying to find imaginative ways to spend our PE and Sport Premium Funding and have offered our children tasters in archery, rock climbing, hockey, circus skills, skate boarding, skipping, skiing, tennis and hula hooping.
We are also committed to the importance of all children being able to swim before they leave us here at Lightmoor.
There is a condition requiring schools to publish how many pupils within their Year 6 cohort are meeting the national curriculum requirement.
Children should be able to swim competently, confidently and proficiently over a distance of at least 25 metres, using a range of strokes effectively and perform safe self-rescue in different water based situations.
At Lightmoor Village Primary School,
28 out of our 33 pupils met this standard in 2019/20. This equates to 85%.
Due to Covid-19 we are unable to undertake school swimming sessions for this academic year.
This year, 2020/21, we will be receiving a grant of £17,840 and we plan to invest it on the following:
- Funding all after school sports clubs so that all of our pupils in school have the opportunity to stay active and try out new sports.
- Investing in a new whole school Cross-Curricular Orienteering Programme for years Reception – 6.
- Funding a member of staff to support pupils who are less confident to get into sport.
- Providing our pupils across the whole school with an exciting outdoor activity day in the Autumn term.
- Upskilling staff to improve quality and variety through CPD an releasing our sports lead in school to plan and model lessons.
- Paying for the school to be part of the Telford and Wrekin School Partnership.
- Funding coaches for sporting events throughout the year.
- Funding extra swim sessions and coaches for any year 6 pupils who have not met the expected standard in the summer term.
- Funding additional resources for PE