Mrs Roberts' Class 2020/21
This half-term, year 4 will be taking a trek into the depths of the rainforest. They will discover where the rainforests are located, what they are like, who lives in rainforests (including animals, plants and indigenous peoples) and much more, through lessons across several curriculum areas.
We will be reading The Explorer by Katherine Rundell and The Great Kapok Tree by Lynne Cherry.
From his seat in the tiny aeroplane, Fred watches as the mysteries of the Amazon jungle pass by below him. He has always dreamed of becoming an explorer, of making history and of reading his name amongst the lists of great discoveries. If only he could land and look about him. As the plane crashes into the canopy, Fred is suddenly left without a choice. He and the three other children may be alive, but the jungle is a vast, untamed place. With no hope of rescue, the chance of getting home feels impossibly small. Except, it seems, someone has been there before them …
• Finding out what a Tropical rainforest is and where they are found.
• Locating rainforests on a world map as well as the Tropic of Capricorn, Tropic of Cancer and equator. By the end of the topic, children should be able to name continents and countries that have areas of rainforest.
• Exploring the layers of vegetation in a rainforest, what the layers called and what their features are. They will find out what kind of animals live in the layers.
• Finding out about the people and settlements of the rainforest and their way of life.
• Identifying the different parts of rainforest plants and their uses.
• Identifying a variety of animals from the Amazon rainforest, describing what an animal is like based on a variety of characteristics.
• Food chains will be identified in the Amazon rainforest and terms explained such as producer, consumer, herbivore, carnivore and omnivore. The children will create food chains to see feeding relationships in the Amazon rainforest.
• Rain forest animals will be drawn in detail.
• We will explore and replicate the art of Henri Rousseau. We will also design, make and evaluate a rainforest animal mask, making decisions about materials, tools and colours.
• Design, make and evaluate a poison dart frog beanbag.
• Design, make and evaluate a rainforest information book with moving parts.