Miss Azzopardi’s Class- 2017-18
A BIG welcome to all parents and carers in Reception!
Spring Term 1
This half term in Reception we are learning all about Toy Story.
Over the next term we will be learning lots and working hard. We will be:
- Making cards for Jessie and making cakes for Jessie
- Writing a shopping list
- SMSC- what are birthdays? Why do we celebrate them? What do they mean?
- Maths- ordering objects by length- comparing length of the characters toys
- Rex discovers a bone in garden area? Research on computers all about dinosaurs ,talk about how computers will give us information (ICT)
- Maths- simple practical addition linked to more toys arriving
- A toy has arrived from Bonnie all wrapped up- what could it be? Feel toy and make a prediction
- Invite Mrs Potato head to learn all about where we live- look at lightmoor on Google
- SMSC- Mrs Potato head is new in our class, what if it was a new child starting? What would we say to them ask/what might they want to know about our school/class?
- ICT- Take photos of Mrs Potato head an other toys to show Bonnie that they are ok
- Buzz will travel to space- taste Space food
- Maths- ordering – DOTW/ daily routine/ planets?
- Look at planet earth and other planets- how do they compare?
- Make papier mache planets
- Junk modeling- make space ship for Buzz to visit his friends
- Make aliens – green playdough
- PE- landing on space CD how can we travel on certain planets? Eg: jump on Mars? Skip on Jupiter?
- SMSC- Hot seating a child to be Buzz- ask questions eg: what was your favourite planet and why?
- Lotso has come into the class and taken Woody- write wanted posters
- SMSC- feelings/taking toys off other children?
- Maths- simple practical subtraction linked to Losto taking toys away
- Invite Lotso to stay in class if he follows are rules?
- Debate- Shall we tell Bonnie that Lotso has taken Woody? Why/why not?
- Elsa has frozen the toys soldiers in ice! Where would be the best place the melt the ice the quickest? (science)
and lots, lots more! Stay tuned for lots of photos!
Autumn Term 2
What a busy half term we have had! We hope you enjoyed our amazing Roald Dahl exhibition last half term. We had great fun creating lots of amazing art work and learning all about ‘The Enormous Crocodile’.
This half term, we will be busy rehearsing for the Christmas play. Our Christmas play is called ‘Christmas with the aliens’. The traditional Christmas story is retold to some alien visitors who become stranded on earth and meet a group of schoolchildren rehearsing their Christmas play.
We have changed our role play area into a post office and we will be learning all about; what a letter is, who delivers letters and we will attempt to write our very own letters and post them. We will also be talking about each letter the postman delivers which includes, a letter to the witch, a letter to baby bear and a letter to goldilocks. We will also be learning:
- to find one more or one less than a number in maths
- all about remembrance day, bonfire night, Halloween and Christmas!
- estimating objects in maths
- writing sentences about the jolly postman
Autumn Term 1
Forest School- Thursday
This half term we will be learning all about ‘The Enormous Crocodile’, a Roald Dahl story. We will be linking all our learning and carrying out lots of fun activities such as;
- Getting creative and making our own enormous crocodile from a range of materials and different textures.
- Counting the crocodile’s teeth, estimating how many there are, and making a crocodile from lots of different 2D shapes.
- Writing all about the naughty crocodile!
- Making animal puppets/masks
- Making crocodiles from papier mache
- Making Split pin crocodiles
- Looking at different animals prints
- Using instruments to make animal sounds
- Mixing colours to make green
- Singing crocodile songs
- Making mini crocodile from pegs
- Making a swamp- using brown paint to create mud!
- How are the animals similar/different from each other in the story
- Researching crocodiles- where do they live? What do they eat? What do they look like?
- And much, much more!
At the end of the half term, an exhibition will be held in the hall displaying all our lovely work.